Top 10 Things You Can Do Today
Leave Your Legacy
1. Prepare a will. Without a will you lose control over your property at death.
2. Leave a gift in your will for the not-for-profit organization that made a difference in your life. Imagine the postive impact on our community if everyone made a gift from their esate to their favourite not-for-profit.
3. Leave a specific dollar amount or a percentage of the assets in your will to a not-for profit of your choice.
4. Consider using assets for your charitable gift. These include but are not limited to cash, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, term deposits, real estate, vehicles, or insurance. Such gifts may even provide tax savings.
5. Name a not-for-profit as a beneficiary of your RRSP, RRIF, or pension.
6. Name your favourite not-for-profit as the beneficiary of an existing or paid-up life insurance policy.
7. Purchase a new life insurance policy naming your favourite not-for-profit as the beneficiary.
8. Remember loved ones with memorial gifts.
9. Encourage family and friends to leave gifts to not-for-profits in their wills.
10. Ask your financial or estate planning advisor to include charitable giving as part of their counsel to clients.